Some of us can deal with second-hand, hand-over laptops or newly bought laptops with no OS. How do you go forward? This tutorial will show you how to install Windows on a laptop without an operating system.
How to Install Windows on a Laptop Without Operating System?
- It would be best if you had a working computer to create a bootable USB installer for Windows.
- Prepare with a bootable USB installer for Windows and plug it into an available USB 2.0 port. If your laptop doesn’t have a USB 2.0 port, it will be USB3.0.
- Turn On your laptop.
- Depending on your laptop, you may need to press ESC or F2 or F8 or F10 or Del to enter BIOS while powering up. If you don’t go through the BIOS and know the key that brings up your laptop’s boot order, you can skip stepping 8. If you find a key to select the boot device order/option, select the device you want as the default boot, and that option will be retained until the next boot.
- Once you enter the BIOS, you should look at the bootable device options and the order in which the options are. This can be found in the Advanced or Boot section at the end of the tabs listed. You may need to enable the option to force the BIOS to recognize the USB drive as a removable disk/CD.
- Select the USB drive as the default boot device.
- Go to Shutdown to save the settings and wait for the laptop to reboot with the new settings.
- A screen will appear where you can select the installation language, time and currency format, keyboard, or input method. This is called the setting screen.
- Now click Next.
- Click Install Now.
- Enter the activation key in the space next to the keyboard icon. You can click “I do not have a product key if you do not have an activation key.”
- Select Custom Install Windows only to perform a clean installation. This action instructs the installer to remove everything on the drive you want to install (sequel action).
- Select the partition/drive where the OS will be installed. After examining the overall size of that drive, you should be able to identify the drive to install.
- Click Next
- You can see the screen where the OS has started installing. This process takes a few minutes to about an hour, depending on whether your laptop has an SSD, HDD, or SSHD.
- When the installation starts rebooting the laptop, go back to the BIOS and see the default boot device. Ideally, it should be a Windows boot manager.
- This allows you to install new windows on your laptop and enjoy happy computing.
How do I install Windows 10 on a new laptop without an operating system?
Save your settings and reboot your computer, and you can now install Windows 10.
- Enter your computer’s BIOS.
- Set up your computer to boot from DVD or USB.
- Choose the Windows 10 Clean Install option.
- Choose your hard disk or SSD.
Start your laptop without an operating system:
- It would be best if you had a working laptop to create a bootable USB installer for Windows.
- Arm yourself with a bootable USB installer for Windows and plug it into an available USB 2.0 port.
- Power on the laptop.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a laptop without an operating system installed?
The operating system acts as a medium through which computer hardware can effectively communicate with software. Almost any computer needs an operating system to function effectively. It isn’t much you can do with a computer that doesn’t have an operating system installed because a computer needs an OS to function effectively.
Can I install Windows 10 on a laptop without an operating system?
Yes, installing Windows 10 on a laptop without an operating system usually requires another laptop. We usually use another computer to download the Windows installation media to a USB flash drive. Then use this USB flash drive to install Windows 10 on your new laptop properly.
How many GB is a Windows 10 installation?
Windows 10 installation files are approximately 5 GB with all the latest cumulative and security updates. However, you should ensure a stable internet connection that provides at least 5 GB. Updates installed during and after installation usually make the quoted figure childish.
How to install Windows 10 on a new laptop without a CD drive and an operating system?
You need to create a bootable Windows 10 USB drive. This drive installation e allows you to install Windows 10 on a new operating system without a CD drive. You must connect the USB to the new laptop and follow the required steps to install the OS.
Can I install Windows 10 on my laptop for free?
Windows 10 is free for anyone running the latest versions of Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 on their laptop. You can check your computer version by going to the Microsoft website.
Installing Windows on a laptop without an operating system is no different than doing the same on a laptop with an operating system. Everyone, including those with no tech experience, has simplified the steps in this article for easy understanding.